for san

PIER Area, Cebu City The smallest, oldest triangular bastion fort in the country was build in 1738 to repel Muslim raiders. In turns, it served as a stronghold for Filipino revolutionaries.  This served as the nucleus of the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines. It has a total inside area of 2,2025 sq. Meters. The walls are 20 feet high, 8 feet thick and the towers are 30 feet high from the ground level. Work first started on May 8, 1565 with MIGUEL LOPEZ DE LEGASPI breaking the ground. After the battle of Manila Bay, Commodore George Dewey turned the fort to the local Cebuanos; then it became an American Warwick Barracks during the American Regime which was later converted into classrooms where the Cebuanos received formal education.

fort san perdDuring World War II, from 1941 to 1945, it served as fortification for Japanese soldiers, when the battle for liberation was fought, the fort served as an army camp. After 1950, Cebu Garden Club took over and fixed the inner court into a miniature garden. For a couple of years it also housed the Cebu City Zoo. In 1978 to August 15, 1993, it housed the offices of the Department of Tourism and Philippine Tourism Authority. At present, it is under the care and administration of the National Museum, a historical park.
Read more.