casa

The Casa Gorordo Museum was originally a house built in the mid-19th century by Alejandro Reynes Y Rosales and bought by Juan Isidro de Gorordo, a Spanish merchant, in 1863. Four generations of the Gorordo family lived in this house, including Juan Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop of Cebu in 1910-1932. Acquired in 1980 by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. the house was restored and later opened as public museum. The Casa Gorordo Museum has been declared a national historical landmark by virtue of national historical institute board resolution no. 4 dated September 24, 1991.

casa2One of the three remaining old houses that dates back to the Spanish colonial period in the Pari-an district of Cebu, the Casa Gorordo is a lifestyle museum that features altar pieces, antique furnishings, paintings and relics that gives the guests a glimpse of the era that they haven’t seen.

The lower floor of the Casa Gorordo Museum traditionally served as storage space. It now houses the offices of the museum, an area for the art exhibitions and a small store. The house is built using the massive and tough coral stones, which most century-old establishments are built from. It has a roof made from tisa clay which weighs around 1 kilogram each piece. The second story has wooden floors and housed the antique furniture, costumes, books and memorabilia from the past. Noteworthy is the master’s bedroom that displays the collection of “sayas”. A small room found in the residence was used as a chapel whenever Bishop Juan Gorordo visits the house. The chapel displays a “pasyon” manuscript in Cebuano.
Read more.