Found in the town of Piat, this basilica houses the famous and miraculous image of Our Lady of Piat, which was brought to the Philippines from Macau in 1604 by the Dominican friars. The image is also known as the Black Mary. Nuestra SeƱora del Santissimo Rosario (Our Lady of the Rosary) was originally the name given by the Domonican friars to Our Lady of Piat. In 1604, Our Lady of Piat was brought from Macau to the Philippines to aid in the evangelization ofourladyofpiat2 the Itawes region, covering the towns of Tabang, Malaweg, Tuau and Piat. It was concecrated in the church of Lallo which was then the Episcopal seat of the diocese of the former Nueva Segovia, and later brought to Piat and again, it was enshrined in one of the two altars at the Church of Sto. Domingo. The shrine was declared a Basilica Minore on June 22, 1999, a title conferred by the Holy See to shrines which contain images or relics of great importance. The other shrine which earned the same distinction is the Our Lady of Charity in La Union.




Source: http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php/Basilica_Minore_of_Our_Lady_of_Piat

Leave a comment